1. WHAT WAS THE POSITIVE IMPACT OF TUT19
The theme of Tomorrow’s Urban Travel conference 2019 was sustainability and how to commit to a greener future. Wonderful Copenhagen gathered all our partners in Copenhagen (hotels, restaurants, venues, DMC, PCO etc.) and invited several speakers to give inspirational talks on a sustainability. Our intention was to inspire and motivate our partners in the Copenhagen tourism industry to become even more sustainable in their operations and give them the tools to do so. Furthermore, Wonderful Copenhagen facilitated a networking activity with the purpose of making the partners commit to taking new sustainable steps. Looking at the feedback from the event and the changes our partners implemented afterwards, we can confidently say that TUT 2019 played a role in shifting the industry in a more sustainable direction.
2. WHAT WAS YOUR NEGATIVE FOOTPRINT?
Even though we tried to minimise ours as much as possible, the conference still left a negative footprint, given that electricity was used, international speakers transported by plane and materials printed for the networking activities. That being said, the negative footprint from this event was much smaller than the previous TUT conferences.
3. WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE TO OTHER ORGANISERS REGARDING VENUE SPACES?
We always recommend using a venue that has green initiatives or certificates. For Tomorrow’s Urban Travel 2019, our venue, Scandic Falkoner, was certificated by the Swan Ecolabel. This means:
- 99% of all the energy used is renewable
- All waste is sorted into 12 different categories for optimal disposal and recycling
- Special water saving toilets and water saving washing machines
- Serves only filtered water straight from the tap
- Led lights are used everywhere except for the old lightbulbs used in the theatre
- Only eco-labelled detergent products are used
4. WHAT ARE YOU PARTICULARLY PROUD OF WHEN IT COMES TO SUSTAINABILITY?
When we look at Copenhagen and at how great the city has become at embracing sustainable change, we cannot help feeling that we played a part in that. We see the statement that we made through Tomorrow’s Urban Travel 2019 being taken very seriously and used advantageously on a competitive market by our partners.
5. WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE LIKED TO DO BETTER REGARDING SUSTAINABILITY?
At our Tomorrow’s Urban Travel conference in 2018, we calculated the CO2 footprint of all food served. Unfortunately, the venue wasn’t able to do this in 2019. The same goes for calculating the carbon footprint of the venue’s electricity use.
6. WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE TO OTHER ORGANISERS REGARDING SUSTAINABLE ACCOMMODATION?
Furthermore, you can choose a Copenhagen hotel marked by the Green Tourism Organization (nearly 70% of the hotels in Copenhagen) – this will guarantee a more sustainable choice of accommodation. Give simple tips to delegates on how to make their stay in a hotel room more sustainable, e.g. reuse towels and bedsheets, cancel cleaning of the room, and climate conscious water and AC usage.